29 May – Plan ahead to keep your options open
Planning ahead gives you the most flexibility
More businesses and facilities start to re-open as the State Government eases back on restrictions around COVID-19. This means that more people are going back to their different programs. We are trying to be as flexible as possible in meeting your needs. To help us with this we encourage you to plan ahead and talk to us about your preferences for services such as:
• Ensuring that you are matched with your preferred or known Support Worker for accessing the community or in-home support.
• Continuing to access services online or returning to your Centre or face-to-face service. We can work with you to provide what is best for you.
• Talking to your Account Manager to discuss your current funding and options to make sure you are maximising your supports before your next plan review is due. This is particularly important if you have temporarily stopped using some services due to COVID-19.
New Therapy Services
We have found that some customers prefer to access Therapy as an online Telehealth service and so we will continue to offer this option. Like our other services, please talk to us about your preferred option and it is ok to use a mix of Telehealth and face-to-face. We want to be as flexible as possible.
As a result of the success of providing some services online we are introducing two new Therapy programs. One is for young adults and the other for parents of young children. They are hosted by
Northcott’s Senior Speech Pathologist and Senior Occupational Therapist, both certified therapists.
PEERS® Social Skills Group for Young Adults is a program developed to teach young adults how to maintain friendships and relationships. It focuses on communication and social skills and is delivered as part of a structured program online.
Hanen Programs® – is a specialist program to help parents to promote the best possible, language, social and literacy skills in young children.
Please talk to your Therapist or contact us for more information about these services.
If you are attending our centres or facilities, or have a Support Worker coming into your home or supporting you in the community, we are continuing to keep our customers and staff safe:
• Our centres, homes and facilities have strict checks in place to ensure that visitors are kept to a minimum and that they are screened on arrival.
• Our staff undertake a self-evaluation process around their health every day before coming to work. If they are sick, they stay at home and get tested for COVID-19.
• Infection control, hygiene and hand washing are all enforced and all staff have received extra compulsory training in these areas.
If you have any symptoms it’s best to get tested
The NSW Government is now encouraging everyone who has even mild symptoms to get tested to prevent community transmission. This includes any mild flu-like symptoms such as fever, headache, coughing, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath, loss of sense of smell and/or taste.
Contact your doctor or the Coronavirus Health Information Line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 1800 020 080.
We also encourage you to download the government’s COVIDSafe app to your personal iPhone or smartphone if you have not done so already. You can find more information about the app including how to download it on the Australian Government Department of Health’s website.
We will support you
We will support you to do any of these things in the community if that is what you choose to do. Please contact us to talk about how we can make this happen.
If you have any questions or need help, contact your Coordinator, Individual Plan Advisor or Customer Liaison Consultant.
Our Customer Service Team is operating extended hours. You can call us on 1800 818 286 from 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am – 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays. If you prefer you can reach us via email: email@example.com
Keep informed about any changes
We encourage you to refer back to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information section on our website, which is kept up-to-date with new information and any changes to our services. This now includes the latest update from the NDIS on its special Coronavirus pricing items.
More general information
• NDIS approach to Coronavirus and changes to make it easier for participants
• Browse the NDIS Easy Read Coronavirus fact sheet
• Australian Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources
• Visit the NSW Health webpage on Coronavirus
• Read the Australian Government COVID-19: Identifying the Symptoms fact sheet