Our Multidisciplinary Therapy team supports customers to determine the best technology to meet their goals. This is known as Assistive Technology.
Assistive Technology is equipment, devices, aids or systems that support and assist people with disability to:
- Communicate better with others
- Be more independent with daily tasks
- Participate in their community
- Move around easier
- Become more independent at home, education settings, or work
- Achieve their desired goals to improve quality of life and life satisfaction
What we can offer
Our Multidisciplinary Therapy team provides person-centred assessments. We support people with disability to determine the most suitable assistive technology to achieve their personal goals.
We offer the following assistive technology needs and assessments:
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) aids to support speech and/or provide other ways of communicating. These include:
Light Technology Options:
- Communication Boards
- Multilevel Communication Books
High Technology Speech Generating Communication devices:
- Single message devices
- Sequence message devices
- Multiple message static display devices
- Multiple message dynamic display apps tablet computers
- Multiple message dynamic display dedicated communication devices
- Text to speech applications for tablet computers
- Text to speech dedicated communication devices
Specialised devices to support:
- Access to computers and/or tablets to enable use of their associated software, including alternative keyboards and mouse options, eye-gaze controls and switch options
- Handwriting alternatives and/or options for curriculum access including software/apps
- Specialist mountings solutions to support the use of electronic devices in a range of environments
- Basic environmental control options
- Mobility aids – such as walking aids, powered wheelchairs, manual wheelchairs, customised seating, orthotics
- Transfer aids – mobile or ceiling hoists, slings, slide boards
- Toileting and bathroom aids – such as self-care equipment, shower commodes, shower chairs
- Aids to support your normal activities – adapted eating/drinking aids, switch-adapted toys, school classroom equipment, sleep systems, adjustable beds, vehicle modifications
- Pressure care aids – pressure relieving cushions and mattresses
- Minor home modifications
Once an assessment is complete and recommendations are made by our therapists, we will assist in sourcing quotes from suitable suppliers and complete funding applications to support customers to receive the recommended technologies.
Once the customer receives the necessary equipment, we work with them to assist with the set-up and training in the ongoing use of the assistive technology.
What our customers can expect from us
We are committed to our customers. As part of our service delivery, our customers can expect:
- A key contact to answer questions
- One-to-one appointments
- Service delivery in the home or wherever suits the customer
- Communication about the status of services
- Easy access to service
- Individual assessment, skills development and training
- Early education
- Capacity-building resources
- Qualified and highly skilled practitioners
- Expertise in the latest communication technology
- Access to industry experts and advisors
- Workshops for parents and carers
Diverse qualified team to assess and train customers
- Occupational therapists
- Speech pathologists
- Therapy assistants
When and where this service is available
Our Assistive Technology assessments and training are available Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm from locations across NSW and the ACT.
Our Computer Assistive Technology Service is available Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm in North Parramatta.
Additional funding information
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) will use the following terms to describe the funding customers can use to purchase our Assistive Technology services:
- Improved daily living skills
- Assistive technology
We can also support customers who have a different type of state or Australian government funding and will support our customers to identify the funding and services they are entitled to.
Register your interest
We just need a few details from you and one of our friendly team will be in touch to answer you Fundability questions. Please call 1300 943 023 if you have any urgent enquiries.